- Maritime logistics suffers from inefficiency, particularly in ports.
- Awake.AI from Turku announces the launch of Smart Port as a Service – a web application that allows users to interact and collaborate with other actors in real-time.
- The global turnover of smart ports is counted in hundreds of billions, and the potential for increasing their operational efficiency is substantial.
The maritime industry is at the beginning of a fundamental transformation. Despite the amplifying digitalization and first autonomous vessels; ships and other maritime actors are still using emails, phones and some even faxes to communicate with each other. These repetitive processes are manual, and daily operational tasks are inefficient. The lack of transparency is the reason for these inefficiencies and operational errors. It is not clear which actor has created the data and there is no footprint or version control. Thus, stakeholders and actors in the port rely on time-consuming speculation to support their decision making, making it prone to errors.
Advances in digitalization and connectivity as well as the need to phase out fossil fuels will impact every aspect of the industry-wide operating model, driving a required change over the next decades. Awake.AI is leading this transition to sustainable and intelligent maritime logistics. To achieve this mission, Awake.AI has developed a software platform which increases operational efficiencies between sea, port and land. The platform enables port actors to reduce turnaround time, emissions and costs. With its novel AI models, the Awake Platform provides port status and service predictions with unprecedented accuracy and reliability.
Smart Port as a Service in brief
- Reduction in shipping emissions
- Reducing the cost of transport and the cost of port calls
- Transforming situational awareness into situational understanding
- Industry leading Estimated Time of Arrival (ETA) prediction accuracy
- Near future port call forecasts enabling better planning
- Real-time shared communication channel between actors
- Transparent and fast status sharing of port operations for all actors
Holistic Solution for Maritime Logistics
The Awake Platform brings all maritime logistics actors together to plan operations and achieve sustainability goals by reducing emissions and enabling optimization of different processes within the maritime sector. The platform is an open and collaborative platform, a single place for information trusted by all maritime logistic actors. Awake.AI is now launching not just one, but four revolutions to the market: AI Revolution, Messaging Revolution, Mapping Revolution and Security Revolution.
AI Revolution: Awake.AI provides the most accurate vessel schedule & operation predictions and tracks assets in ports in real-time
Awake.AI is applying artificial intelligence (AI) and especially machine learning (ML) methods as an integral part of the Awake Platform. A variety of ML models are used in software development for example data cleaning, filtering, structuring, preprocessing and automated data labeling. For our customers, we have developed machine learning models for vessels and operations schedule predictions, resource tracking using computer vision, and business analytics based on large-scale datasets. Our solution provides port call schedule predictions which are continuously updated and more accurate than data sources used by port actors today.
All model development is performed with scalability in mind from the beginning, for example vessel schedule prediction models are trained internationally using as large data sets as possible, not just for individual customer ports. From a technology perspective, we are utilizing a broad range of modern and classical AI and ML techniques implemented in a modern cloud framework, allowing us to effectively combine all data sources providing relevant information, from organizations’ internal information systems to open sources.
Our computer vision -based solution for smart ports is designed to analyze and monitor cargo and vehicles in the port in real time. The solution automates challenging manual resource monitoring, tracking, and analysis, speeds up cargo logistics planning, and improves the detection of potential exceptional situations.
– With the solution we developed, the port actors gain situational awareness of their port area utilisation, which allows them to identify manufacturers using the port area as a short-term warehouse and to better predict potential capacity problems, Jussi Poikonen from Awake.AI says.
Messaging Revolution: We have reinvented port call communications, effectively making them transparent and real-time for all needed actors
The Awake Platform is embedded with Smart Messaging capability, allowing comprehensive context (user role, time, location) aware information sharing between port call actors. This information is always up-to-date, reliable and traceable. Awake is using automated bots that generate messages like port call state changes and deviations to all parties benefiting from that information.
Messaging is either generic or safety announcements for all or tied to port calls. These port calls can be viewed from e.g. ship lists that are now in electronic format, traceable, mobile, transparent and real-time. Messages are also deeply tied to maps and operator workflow execution. Messaging supports sharing images which is many times faster and easier to share than a long text.
Mapping Revolution: New types of location based services and dynamic maps with accurate data
The Awake Platform has sea and land maps with dynamic content. Map layers include AIS (vessel locations and history), navigation charts and 2D land maps. We are creating 3D immersive port environments from drone scans to further improve the operational experience for ports related to storage areas and other infrastructure.
Map zone layers are based on arrival and departure phases for the vessels. These include VTS areas, pilot boarding areas, port areas and berths. The land maps can be used to visualize asset movements including trucks, containers and trains. Maps are useful to show land cargo drop-off and pick-up points to all needed actors so that they can be found fast and avoid delays, extra costs and extra emissions.
Key dynamic content on maps is weather. Particularly wind, waves, rain can be displayed on maps which are needed to understand when certain operations e.g. loading & unloading can occur.
Security Revolution: Tracking, monitoring and alerting capability for all port actors
The Awake Platform includes cloud security, access management, security auditing and operational capability. Smart Security for ports means the security drivers are known and the security architecture is based on those identified drivers as well as identified threat environments. The Awake platform has state of the art security governance and security operations models and procedures that support managing cyber threats. Our platform is the most trusted, also from a security point of view.
– Port digitalization and development requires close collaboration with stakeholders not only within the maritime sector, but all parties in the extensive logistic chain. Our central role as orchestrator of this ecosystem means that we make sure the ecosystem is built around trust between all its partners, says Karno Tenovuo, CEO of Awake.AI.
Reducing shipping emissions towards IMO targets
The Awake Platform provides open real-time data, with which stakeholders can interact and develop their operations. Awake.AI aims to reduce shipping emissions significantly, taking help from its ecosystem partner network – which now already includes over 50 partners.
– Awake.AI progresses the sustainability and the efficiency within maritime logistics. People do not realize that even though the vessels would be fully automated and capable of maneuvering overseas, there has to be a legal and technological infrastructure in place shoreside in order to make commercialization viable. Awake.AI is focusing on enabling and accelerating the adoption of the ‘’digital handshakes’’ and communications between different maritime logistics actors, and not just ships. – explains VP of Sales and Marketing Sami Kaksonen.
Sign up for the demo and early access to smart planning revolution
The beta version of Smart Port as a Service introduces already four revolutions worth discovering by all maritime logistics actors: AI revolution, Messaging revolution, Mapping revolution and Security revolution.
Port authorities are eligible for the early adopters’ free trial version of the platform. Awake platform is the first solution in the market that allows not only to see, but also interact with real time data spanning from sea to port and further into land.
– It is a new type of communication for port calls that will revolutionize maritime logistics, summarizes Simo Salminen, VP of Product at Awake.AI.
The fifth revolution is just around the corner: smart planning revolution. The Awake Platform is easy to join and use, as it does not require bureaucracy and onboarding integration.
– We want to be the most trusted platform and ecosystem orchestrator globally. We are excited to work with the largest Europe’s seaport, Port of Rotterdam, who chose us to be their main development partner for enabling smarter vessels to make port calls.
Co-developed and piloted with customers
Smart Port as a Service has been developed together with end customers and collaborative piloting has been completed in real environments.
The largest sea port in Europe, Port of Rotterdam has chosen Awake.AI as their smart port development partner. Awake.AI enables smart ships to call at Port of Rotterdam by developing data standards, API’s, datasets, cloud services and simulating scenarios before physical world smarter ships arrive.
Oy M. Rauanheimo Ab , a logistics solutions supplier with over 135 years of knowledge of stevedoring, forwarding and shipping activities, is also working together with Awake.AI to enhance their offering and optimize vessel turnaround time. Rauanheimo has already piloted Awake Platform in a real environment. The ETA predictions reduced the median error by hours when benchmarked with the ship arrival ETA in Kokkola harbor, the third largest port in Finland.
Finland’s largest export port for paper, Euroports Rauma, and Euroports Finland have expressed their interest to cooperate with Awake.AI to digitalize port operations:
– The purpose is to create a new market in several steps, taking port call efficiency to a new level using real-time information exchange and reliable data. Awake.AI has a clear vision of the new ecosystem, with its operations, and capabilities to coordinate large development entities, says Janne Virta, Director of Commercial & Business development, Euroports Rauma Oy.